Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My jeep will not shift out of park. I had a check engine…

Customer Question
My jeep will not...

My jeep will not shift out of park

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

I had a check engine light on a few days ago but it went off and that is when my issue began with my jeep not wanting to shift out of park. after it sits for a time it will usually go ahead and shift but after it is driven and put in park it will not come back out of park.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2008 patriot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried nothing because I was at a loss for what to do, I have read some of the forums and discovered that this is a familiar problem with jeep owners

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes last week I had some issues with my lights, turn signals and windshield wipers working, I pulled my battery cable off and reset my computer to fix that issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/18/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

You jeep has a mechanism that locks the shifter from moving if it doesn't detect a signal from a switch on the brake pedal that the pedal is depressed and it is ok to release the shifter. First thing to check is whether the brake lights are working. Does it seem like the brake lights are working normally?

no they are not working

So most likely the brake pedal switch is the problem. Do you want to do some electrical testing (you will need a multimeter) or do you want to try swapping it out and see how it does?

ok I do not have that equipment so I guess I will be taking it in to the dealer thank you for your time

It's a pretty easy sensor to change if you want to try and tackle it yourself. Let me know if you want to give it a shot.