Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Dash illumination lights and other accessory illumination…

Customer Question
Dash illumination lights and...

Dash illumination lights and other accessory illumination lights aren't working, but flicker on for a second when I drive occasionally.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yep. Replaced every fuse, the bulbs are good because they flash on for a moment when I drive it once in a while.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself, yes. I've ruled out the fuses. I've checked all engine bay grounds. I've tore apart the dash and checked for shorting / pinched wires and no luck yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I did re-did the solder grounds on the headlight switch. Still no luck. That is all.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/17/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

If you have a volt meter and can do testing while this is occurring I believe I can help you get this figured out.

When I get home from work in the morning I can check continuity with the multimeter.I know the orange wire (illumination wire) runs to all the things I mentioned were out, but I am unsure of where to probe it.

Here is the wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwurvb3nriudtn6/98int.pdf?dl=0

We need to check the orange wire at the BCM for constant or flicking output power. That will tell us if the concern is before or at the BCM or in the wiring after the BCM. Can you get to this point?

Chris

Okay, I am home now. Should I use a a test light, or a multimeter at the BCM plug?
Also, on the diagram shows the orange illumination wire going to the "lamp DRVR". What is the lamp drvr?

Aa test light or DVOm will work fine to test it. Lamp DRVR is just the name of the circuit.

Okay. I used the VOM and got 0.2V, test light concluded this as well.
I tested at the headlamp switch, and radio

Can you do the test at the BCM?

Just used the test light on the BCM too right plug, got a solid signal.
Orange wire, top right plug.

Sice you have power out at the BCM on the orange wire but not at the lamps this means somewhere in the wire harness is a resistance issue not allowing power to flow through.

The BCM orange wire goes to the splice to the rest of the instruments. Where is s209?

Locate the shift interlock and follow its connector to the main harness. The splice 209 will be right there at that junction.

I assuming the shift interlock isin the center console?

Correct

Do you need a picture location of the shift interlock?

Did you check the splice you found to see if there is power there?

A picture of the interlock would be excellent, thanks.I found a splice where the headlight switch illumination wire, cluster, and radio wire went to. I took apart the splice and interestingly enough the lights still continue to flicker on and off.

I do not have an image due to the age. It states it is on the shift cable at the steering column. I misread earlier when you asked is it in the center console, no it is not.

This is the onlysplice I could find remotely near the steering column. I took it apart to clean / reconnect. Here’s where it’s weird though. Even with those orange wire disconnected, everything still flickers once in a while!
Okay, so I tracked the orange wire from the BCM plug to a possible junction box behind the bcm. On the other side of this box, another orange wire comes out and goes up to connect to those orange wires spliced together by the headlight switch.I took a test tight to the spliced orange wires and had power. I am pretty stumped.

It almost sounds like the set of orange wires you are on are not the correct ones for this circuit. Can you unplug the BCM and ohm test the orange wire at each end to see if there is continuity.

The “wire” Goes into a junction type box below the BCM. I’ll try and get an hon meter on it

I am out of diagrams to provide to help.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician