Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

No start situation with 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, first

Customer Question
No start situation with...

No start situation with 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, first time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery, starter and alternator just checked out for winter - all good - new alternator a year ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wiggling the shifter seems to work, and it has started ever since. But I'm not convinced I don't have a random problem or a faulty NSS

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had 4WD linkage checked recently and that was good.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
Back up lights work (when engine is running and goes into reverse)
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/15/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 2 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Possible causes. I'm thinking the NSS is faulty.
However, maybe I didn't put it in Park completely last night. First time that has happened in 11 years, though.

Would you like to try to put it in park first to see if thats the issue before we continue?

I've aleady been charged the entire amount and I haven't gotten an answer yet. I don't want additional charges by talking to you on the phone.
I put it in park 10 times and tried it and it starts right up. I drove it today. I'm apprehensive about a random problem caused by a faulty NSS.

Ok, no problem. So you would like to continue?

I didn't say there was "no problem". What is the cause of the no-start problem last night, from your experience?. I've already said that battery, alternator and starter checked out fine just a few weeks ago, and it was a new alternator last year.

Got it! Thank you for that information.

One moment while I type up your answer.

Some testing would need to be done to pinpoint the root cause. If it would help, I can lower the cost of the phone call down to $5 bucks in order to help you over the phone.

Do you know if the starter relay clicks with the key in the crank position?

again, wiggling the transmission shifter seemed to help last night, but haven't had to do that again.
It doesn't or didn't click like a low battery with low charge - battery not an issue. .

So the starter relay does not click?

Are you SURE all fuses are good?

Can you check the inputs to the starter relay for me with the key in the crank position?

No not sure all fuses are good. I'm not in a garage with tools to check the inputs to the starter relay.

Ok please check that when you have time and reply back.

Ok - which fuse would be problematic sometimes but not others?

CHECK ALL OF THEM

Ok thanks. I have to go - thanks for your help.

Your welcome

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman