Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee does not recognize the key. No it…

Customer Question
My 99 Jeep Grand...

My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee does not recognize the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No it is original equipment

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

We had this problem once before and disconnnected the battery which cleared it up but now when i turn the key the dash lights up the no key symbol is on but nothing happens. I've tried the online fix of turning the key in the door

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

Try this reset first and we go from there

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

do you have a capable scanner that can read jeep anti theft module faults ?

please let me know

This did not work

At this time You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle Anti theft modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

I Have checked the codes and there are none

what scanner was used ,an obdII basic scanner that can read engine fault codes only ,if that is the case it will not see the anti theft module to get the faults from it

where did you take it ,like advance auto or auto zone ?

the scanner has to be jeep specific software installed ?