Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

It makes a knocking sound when you crank it or unlock the…

Customer Question
It makes a knocking...

It makes a knocking sound when you crank it or unlock the door or turn on heat or or sometimes just open the door. It comes from the dssh

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It sounds like the driver side toward the middle of the dash. It started about 1 week ago and is getting worse

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2010 liberty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. Don't know what it is

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/15/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 2 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
That knocking noise is the blend door or mode door actuator motor. May be the recirc door actuator. The way to determine which one it is is to start the engine, then wait for the knocking to stop. When it does, start turning the HVAC knobs from one end to the other and wait. If you can make it start knocking by doing this then that door associated with the particular control knob is the one that needs to be replaced. In other words, if it is the temperature control that causes it, replace the blend door actuator. If it is the mode vent selection control knob that causes it, replace the mode door actuator. I am positive it is one of the actuator motors in the HVAC housing.Chris
Why does it do it when you open the driver door?
Because the CAN bus network gets activated when the door is opened. That wakes up the HVAC control module which in turn cycles the actuators.
Chris
If you do your own repairs, and want to replace an actuator yourself, let me know and I will send you the procedures for doing that.
Chris
I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Now if you need that procedure to replace the actuator, let me know and I will get that together and sent to you. I will check back with you tomorrow.Chris
Good morning! Just checking back to see if you need further assistance. Please let me know if you do and I will be here for you. If not, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it.Thank you!Chris

Any luck yet?

Chris

Good morning again! Just checking back to see if you need further assistance. Please let me know and if so I will continue to help you out. If you no longer need anything else, please take a minute to rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system. I would really appreciate it. I can and will continue to help you out even after you rate me for no extra charge.Thank you!Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman