Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Voltage regulator not charging battery / installed an

Customer Question
Voltage regulator not charging...

Voltage regulator not charging battery / installed an external one but can't find a switched source,to hook.it.up to keep draining battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes and no leak

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

98 jgc 5.9

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and changed battery,crankshaft sensor,ignition coil,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How to wire up the charging system externally

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/14/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Just so I understand you do not want to fix it correctly. You want to alter it and you need a key on power source, correct?

I am partially hearing impaired I prefer reading answers to questions

Using the link to an image below. The orange wire to each of those components from fuse 18 is only powered when the key is in the run position. Would one of those work for you?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Okay ,now I want to understand how to wire up the regulator to a close dist . center. without exposing the fuses to air or water / weather elements .

Can you not heat shrink the wire splices to prevent water intrusion like OEM wiring is done?

where would locate the 120 amp alternator fuse in the dist . Center and the fusible link wire.
Last question is what size terminal goes on the POS. Battery tab on the alternator

There is not a 120 amp fuse in the fuse box. There is an inline fuse link though on the red/black wire between the alternator and battery positive wire connection to the fuse box. If a wire diagram is needed, let me know.

You would need to measure it, it should be able to support 150 amps 8-10 gauge should be sufficient.

I would need a diagram
Alternator is 200 amps the 150 diode burned out

For a 200 amp you will want 6-8 gauge wire.

Here is the diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/u39ofas30cnbygr/98jeep.pdf?dl=0

I can't get that Dropbox diagram format you sent

What are you trying to open the file on, phone, home or work PC?

Phone

Did you follow the steps I mentioned on how to download files. I checked and it works on my phone. It works best on a PC

it is saying can't open file invalid format and there were no instructions
I don't have a pc
I did that it says invalid format can't open file

You may have to download the app then. You would be the first customer I have ever had that has not been able to open a link.

Yeah I'm a little slow fleeted in the IT hemisphere

Do you know someone with a computer whereas you can log in to the website there then open the file?

No, not off hand

Then we will have to answer remaining concerns without diagrams. What questions do you have left?

How did do the first diagram and what was the fix you were referring to , in your initial statement.

You should be able to diagnose and fix it without altering the way to works and the wiring. We can do that if you have not changed anything so far from the OEM way it should work.

What would I have to do.

At the alternator is the black wire a good ground? Is the red/black wire battery voltage? While running what is the voltage on the green and green/violet wire?

Engine only cranks n ot getting no spark to turn it over voltage at the green wire is 12.4,green& violet 0.56 ,red/ black 13.2 black ground 12.4

You must address the no start issue before you can address a no charge concern.

Change crankshaft,ignition,battery,ignition coil spark plugs,dist. Cap rotor,

Have you done any testing to see why you have no spark or just replacing parts?

What should I be testing all fuses are good ,parts all new

Test for battery voltage to the coil while cranking.

Using a test light, check for a trigger to the coil negative while cranking.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician