Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Engine light stays on. Got it…

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Engine light stays on. Got it check they said it was the gas cap. Got a new one . Light disappeared for 2 days. This morning it is back on and beeping that it's the Gas cap. I have been asll having a little problem where my car stalls at times when I start it. I had the starter changed a few months back as well as the spark plug. Not sure what else to look for??

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Yes it is on. it Stalls at idle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a friend doing it. I'm at the point of taking it to jeep dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Previously the car was overheating. But that has stopped.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/12/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The two problems are most likely unrelated. Does it seem to stall more after filling tank with gas or does it not matter?

It does not matter.

Any chance you know what diagnostic codes you are getting? Does it always restart right away? Thanks.

Nope not sure of the code. No it does not restart right away. I need to let it rest and try again.

Turn key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds and diagnostic codes should be displayed on odometer. Let me know, thanks.

No Code is showing up. All it keeps showing is Gas cap..

The gas cap message most likely means the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Assembly has failed which detects if evap system is leaking, this is about a $200 repair at dealership. The start/stall problem sounds related to security system, I'd try a different key to see if that helps if not the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module has probably failed which is about a $400 repair. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Thanks so much for your help. Now I know what I'm dealing with.

No problem, I'm happy to help. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so let me know if you end up running into questions. Thanks again and have a good day.

Will do. Thanks again! Have a great Day!

Thanks, I'll be here if you need me. Please do not forget to rate answer.

Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.