Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I just bought a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and the…

Customer Question
Hello so I just...

Hello so I just bought a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and the stereo won’t turn on and the driver side back window won’t work and the driver side is starting to go

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

The dome lights won’t go on when you open the doors and it doesn’t honk and lights won’t go off when you lock it Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the fuses so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/11/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

SO you bought this as is?

I bought it and it said everything was working. Drove it around and they said it was just a switch and gave me the money for the switch and a new stereo but then I noticed all the other stuff after i had bought it.

it could be a computer problem, do you have a check engine light on? Have you had it scanned for any codes? Is there any way they will take the car back or fix it?

I’ve only had it since Saturday. I was hoping it was just the IOD fuses but my husband changed those and it did nothing
I can call them tomorrow they aren’t open Sunday. The are no check engine lights on.

Ok let me know what they say if they wont fix it ill help you with the diagnostics on it

Ok awesome thank you it’s a shame I love the car otherwise.

sure thing and good luck !

The dealer was less then helpful. So we looked at the IOD fuses again last night and they were super corroded. We clean the terminals and everything we got most everything working except the stereo/Navi. You can tell it wants to turn on and is getting power to it but the screen is just black but when we were messing with the fuses the screen flashed a couple times like it was trying to come on.

OK so now you have then everything working but the stereo?

Yep

Are the other fuses corroded as well? have you checked the main grounds on this car?

I haven’t checked the main ground and we went through and cleaned out all of the fuses that were corroded.

That fuse block may be compromised with all that corrosion, What voltage do you get at the radio fuse?

hows it coming?

I haven’t had time to check sorry life has been a little hectic the last couple days.

thats ok ill still be here when your ready

Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!