Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

It starts and runs for about a minute then shuts off. I've…

Customer Question
It starts and runs...

It starts and runs for about a minute then shuts off. I've replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, plug wires, coil, crank position sensor, and had the ecm rebuilt. Also replaced the fuel pump and filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No it acts as if it just shuts off then won't start again for several hours

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

92 YJ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've replaced just about everything. After I replaced the fuel pump it wouldn't start at all, then I sent the ecm in to be rebuilt and now it will start and run good but only for about a minute

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I recently purchased the vehicle and it quit while driving it home and haven't been able to get it to run ever scence

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/10/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd say the next test is to run a power wire direct from the battery to the fuel pump so the pump runs all the time and see how this helps

if the Jeep then runs you know the issue is with the fuel pump power supply

if this doesn't help then I'd next check that the ECU is also getting a consistent power supply