Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2014 jeep wrangler xl, it snowed last night here in…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 jeep wrangler xl, it snowed last night here in texas and this morning there is a puddle of oil on the ground what could this be haven't seen before

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Recently like within the last month

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just saw, and am concerned as to why it is happening, could it be a weather issue?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/8/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

You will need to look directly above the center of the oil on the ground and try to see if it is coming from the oil drain plug or the oil filter seal? These would be the two most common places to leak. The cold can shrink an oil filter seal and allow it to leak if it was not tightened enough when oil was changed.

Make sure to check oil level to see if engine is low and add oil before starting again. You can turn the oil filter tighter if it is leaking from it to stop the leak if it is there.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.