Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

2007 jeep grand cherokee, 3.ol diesel, battery went dead,

Customer Question

2007 jeep grand cherokee, 3.ol diesel, battery went dead, replaced with new battery, dash lights up, turn key to start, just a click. Need someone with experience with 2007 jeep with diesel engine. Kinda reluctant to use this service, last time I used it, I was double billed and never got a refund.. I will also need to be advised what the charge will be up front
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 11 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

From what you are describing so far I am leaning towards a bad connection at the battery cables. Do you get a single click "Every" time you try to start it? What area do you hear the click coming from? The engine compartment or inside the vehicle??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No question the click is from engine compartment and the battery connections are secure.

Was there any corrosion on the cable ends? Did you thoroughly clean the cables before attaching them to the new battery?

If the cables are clean and secure, then I am suspecting a failed Starter. At this point you need to use a multimeter to verify that the starter is receiving battery voltage at the starter terminal. If it is, and the starter is still clicking then you will need to replace the starter....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The cable ends were perfectly clean. I ccould change the battery out with no problem. I am not competent to do the actual mechanic work. I just need to know what the problem may be, and if possible, a rough estimate of what it would cost. Any other thoughts other than the starter?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still with me?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Obviously, I am a slow learner. I got burned last time and got burned again this time. But, this time I will harass til I get a refund for your failure to stay in touch.

I'm still here, Stepped away for a bit... sorry.

I thought you already replaced the battery.

If the starter is ok, another possibility could be the positive battery cable itself, or there could be a poor connection on the starter side of the positive battery cable. You would have to determine if the clicking is coming from the actual starter or if the clicking is just the relays. If the clicking is coming directly from the starter it means that one of two things is definitely wrong, either the starter is not receiving battery voltage at the larger battery cable connection or the starter has failed.

If it is clicking from the starter relay, the problem could be the relay itself or a wiring issue that would require a multimeter to diagnose.

Do you have access to one? If so, I can look up the wiring diagrams and help you get it figured out... Just let me know and I can help you out..

Remember this could take a bit of back and forth communication between us but with a bit of patience on your side I am fairly certain that we can figure this out.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

PS - I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I'm unable to talk on the phone at this time. Most of the time, for car questions, communicating via this site is best.. Makes it easier for me to post important needed information that you can use to fix your vehicle..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

As for cost, I'll need the last 8 digits of the VIN so I can get a correct price on the part. I will post a breakdown of parts and labor for you...

Thank you,

Robert

Also, If you can record a video of someone attempting to start it while you record the sound coming from the engine compartment I may be able to more accurately answer the question for you. All you would need to do is post your video to Youtube and post a link here so I can review the video and I will be happy to let you know my thoughts..

Thank you,

Robert

I need to log off for the night (Day Job in the morning) so if you post any replies, I will respond as soon as I am back online. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

PS, you have not been burned, Your funds are SAFE in YOUR JustAnswer account until you see fit to pay me by rating with a positive rating. I don't get paid until you rate...

You have asked 11 questions here and at least 5 experts have been paid..

I talked to you back in 2015 here: Click Here

Thank you,

Robert

I talked to you back in 2015 --- CLICK HERE. Thank you!

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.