Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty, it has check engine light on the…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty, it has check engine light on the reads out to be a cooling problem, it has no heat and is over heating. help

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The check engine light stays on, it also had a (z) one that came on but went off after the put it on the machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to figure out the diganossis first,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. that about sums it up. Thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/7/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What size engine do you have? Has anything been replaced? thanks.

3.7L no I have not replaced anything

How long does it take for vehicle to overheat? Does it overheat both at idle and while going down the road? Thanks.

once it has warmed up the heat increases within 3-5 mins yes both

It sounds like thermostat may be stuck and is easiest place to start so I would go ahead and replace thermostat. If that doesn't help then I'd recommend doing a block test and pressure test to makes sure head gaskets are not leaking. If head gasket passes tests then possible problems could be clogged radiator, water pump, or clogged heater core. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.