Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2006 jeep liberty was bucking / shaking esp light started…

Customer Question
2006 jeep liberty was...

2006 jeep liberty was bucking / shaking esp light started flashing and so did check engine light. pulled over. turned off esp. check engine light stopped. check codes after, but nothing was stored.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Esp light was flashing I think? not sure, but I turned it off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I usually fix myself. havent tried a thing other than to kill esp swtich

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

197,000 miles. nothing else car is tip top til now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/6/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, most low end code readers are not capable of reading stability control fault codes, so I need the brand and model number of yours to verify it is capable of reading them before going further.

The reason is I need to know whether you need it read with proper scan tool to retrieve these codes or whether this is a rare case of no stored codes so I know which direction to go in diagnosing this

it wasn't my reader. it was at autozone which was near where I had the issue. i am on trip and not near my home.

HI,

Ok, I am familiar with the one they use and it only reads engine/transmission/emissions codes. It is not capable of reading electronic stability power codes. This requires an advanced diagnostic scan tool, which unfortunately means you will need to take it to a shop for the codes to retreived

Possible causes are the ESP control module, steering angle sensor, yaw rate sensor, front or rear differential module, low rear differential fluid, speed sensor, or internal fault in rear differential

Unless you are driving where there is snow/ice or heavy rain, with the ESP turned off, it is safe to drive

what causes the bucking or vibration? it still does it with the esp turned off but it doesnt cause a check engine light? thanks eric.

HI,

Ok, does it happen at steady speed or when accelerating

sorry to sound like a dumba** but I'm not positive. i was traveling rush hour on a highway so i doubt it was a steady speed.

HI,

Ok, that could be torque converter, bad ujoints on driveshaft, internal issue in the rear differential

I would recommend having a shop inspect it at this point rather than continue your trip. In addition to the possibility of leaving you stranded, continued driving could increase the repair bill if this is either from the torque converter or rear differential

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager