Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

When I put it in drive it won't get out of first until I…

Customer Question
When I put it...

When I put it in drive it won't get out of first until I stop, put it in Park and go again

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

No.....I don't know what the + and - icons next to Drive mean either

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2016 Jeep Latitude but also happened with my 2012 Compass

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?

Traded Compass in for the Latitude

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No...I'm just wondering if when I put it in drive I've hit the "+ or-" mode on shifter

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/4/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like you are in +/- mode , when its having the shifting issues do you try manually shifting it?

it's ok then....but what is +/- mode

its a mode which allows you to shift almost like a manual but without the clutch, though it should shift even if you are in this mode, to prevent trans damage

hows it coming?