Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand cherokee v8 with a code P1698 that…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand cherokee v8 with a code P1698 that I can't clear. Transmission is in limp mode, Overdrive button won't work, and no first gear or overdrive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Bright red and full. There mighty be a slight buzzing noise from the transmission while in park and neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all the grounds I could find, changed the PCM and TCM, changed the battery, changled the battery bables, checked the alternator & voltage. No change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trying to fix myself if possible.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/3/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 8 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
Hi .
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this issue please get back to me if you still need assistance.
Rgds Greg
please. I have DVM but no scan tool.
are you there?
Sorry was off line I will get back to you first thing in the morning.
Greg
ok.
Good morning.
With you not having a scan tool disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Touch the two cable together for a few seconds. This will clear codes .
Now reconnect and switch on the ignition (don’t start) and check for codes . Is the same code back no codes start engine and run is the code back.
Was the wiring harness on the side of the transmission disconnected at all . Any work done ??
Rgds Greg
Good morning. thank you. Touching the battery cables together clears the code. The code will not come back with not running. After starting, The OD button won't work, and the code comes back after cycling the transmission through the gears via shifter after one or two minutes. This is the only code, all other items on the jeep work fine. No work done on the transmission or engine, I installed new brake lines, axle seal, and tire, when I backed it out of the garage, I heard the light buzzing noise from the tranny in park and neutral.
I tested the resistance on each of the transmission solenoids via TCM connector, and measured all between 1.8 and 3.8 ohms. Checked all grounds carefully. I then swapped in another PCM/TCM, skim, and key cylinder from a known good spare. Results are exactly the same. Still in transmission limp mode, only have 2nd & 3rd gear manually, no first or OD. Tested OD switch at the switch connector. Changed the relay with another known good one, checked for power at the fuses. Seems like the ground & power connectors at the TCM are ok. I do have a spare transmission and a solenoid pack I could try. 161k miles on this JGC.
Tried unplugging the transmission components, no difference, except when I unplug the solenoid pack, main connector, the jeep won't turn over. I'm thinking now a component in the transmission is bringing the bus voltage down. Like to have some help on checking that if possible.
Looks like to me to be the valve body , can you try another .
Did you check the condition of the ATF fluid . Still a nice clear red to very light brown ?
Greg
I will try a different valve body, thank you. Strange how just happened all of a sudden, Fluid is still a nice red.
Thank you .
Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me.
Even after accepting you can get back to me anytime without any extra cost.
Rgds Greg
ok, so changed the solenoid pack, two new filters and the p1698 code came right back within 2 minutes. Any other ideas?
The low buzzing noise appears to have gone away. Overdrive button still not working or activating the light on the dash.
Possible Causes* No Response To PCM
* Open CCD BUS Circuit From PCM To Data Link Connector
* Open CCD BUS (-) Circuit From PCM To Data Link Connector
* Open Ground Circuit
* PCM ****Testing
1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DRBIII(R) scan tool, try to read DTCs or sensors in PCM. If scan
tool does not display NO RESPONSE to PCM, go to next step. If scan tool displays NO RESPONSE to
PCM, go to NO RESPONSE FROM PCM under SCAN TOOL COMMUNICATIONS.2. Ensure ignition is on with engine off. Using scan tool, select BODY and select type of instrument cluster
that vehicle is equipped with. Once type of instrument cluster is selected, the BUS operational test will be
performed automatically. If scan tool does not display BUS OPERATIONAL, go to next step. If scan tool
displays BUS OPERATIONAL, test is complete.3. Ensure ignition is on with engine off. Using scan tool, clear DTCs from Engine Control Module (ECM).
Turn ignition off and then back on again with engine off. Using scan tool, check for stored DTCs in
ECM. If DTC P1698 exists, go to next step. If DTC P1698 does not exist, test is complete.4. Turn ignition off. Disconnect harness PCM connectors. PCM is located at passenger's side rear corner of
engine compartment. Check for poor connection/terminal contact at PCM harness connectors. Repair as
necessary. Connect jumper wire between ground and terminal No. 30 (Violet/Brown wire) on PCM
harness connector C3. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, select BODY and select type of
instrument cluster that vehicle is equipped with. Once type of instrument cluster is selected, the BUS
operational test will be performed automatically. If scan tool displays SHORT TO GROUND, remove
jumper wire and go to next step. If scan tool does not display SHORT TO GROUND, remove jumper
wire. Repair open in Violet/Brown wire between PCM and Data Link Connector (DLC) terminal No. 3.5. Turn ignition off. Ensure PCM harness connectors are still disconnected. Connect jumper wire between
ground and terminal No. 28 (White/Black wire) on PCM connector C3. Turn ignition on with engine off.
Using scan tool, select BODY and select type of instrument cluster that vehicle is equipped with. Once
type of instrument cluster is selected, the BUS operational test will be performed automatically. If scan
tool displays SHORT TO GROUND, remove jumper wire and go to next step. If scan tool does not
display SHORT TO GROUND, remove jumper wire. Repair open in White/Black wire between PCM and
DLC terminal No. 11.6. Turn ignition off. Ensure PCM harness connectors are still disconnected. Using DVOM, measure
resistance between ground and terminal No. 31 (Black/Tan wire) on PCM connector C1. If resistance is
less than 10 ohms, replace and program PCM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL &
INSTALLATION article. If resistance is 10 ohms or greater, repair open in Black/Tan wire between
PCM and ground connection. Ground connection is located at ground connection for negative battery
terminal.Rgds Greg
Again, I don't have a scan tool, do you have pin outs on the TCM I could retest? If not, I will have to take it to a transmission specialist.
I performed #6, resistance is less than 10 ohms, so a good ground is present.
I would myself get a transmission guy in my shop to check this . Transmission is all they do so far ahead in working on them .
Scan tool is a must on this issue of yours will save work and parts .
Can get complicated I know .
Rgds Greg
ok. Thanks for trying. Best Regards, Dave
Thank you Dave