Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2203 jeep wrangler will not go into gear while running. It…

Customer Question
Second opinion] 2203 jeep...

Second opinion] 2203 jeep wrangler will not go into gear while running. It will go into gear while not running. If I start the engine while in gear, it will run in that gear and I can drive in that gear, but I cannot shift into another gear while it is running. It must be turned off to go into any gear. Ive checked transmission fluid and master cylinder fluid. Both seem to be fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Approximately 1 year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Wrangler?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive just tried diagnosing the issue myself. I am hoping to fix it myself, but cant seem to locate the problem

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
12/2/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Les Hamilton, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Les Hamilton
Les Hamilton, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist you better. I apologize for any delay.

Is your Jeep a manual or automatic transmission?

Manual transmission

Ok sorry for the delay getting back to you. I am going to assume the pedal feels normal since I'm sure you would have mentioned it if not would eliminate the slave cylinder from our diagnosis here. This really only leaves the pressure plate as the problem. The pressure plate keeps the clutch pressed against the flywheel and if damaged it may not disengage properly. I would lower the transmission and inspect the clutch/pressure plate.

ok. thats the same thing the other technician said. thanks

You are very welcome, and I hope I was helpful and feel free to let me know if you have any follow up questions. Please don't forget to rate me as it is the only way we get credited for our response.

Question for you Les. I replaced the clutch and it is for the most part driving like a dream. Shifts easy. Feels like she likes to be driven. The problem is that every once in a while it doesn't want to go into gear. Just randomly. I can drive all day with no problems then all of a sudden it dosent want to shift. Then a moment later it's fine again. I thought that maybe I needed to bleed the slave cylinder, but as I understand it you can't bleed them on an 03' wrangler. There is no bleed valve. They come as a closed system with the master cylinder attached with all the fluid already in the line. No bleeding needed. Any ideas on why I'm getting the random shifting problems?
Les Hamilton
Les Hamilton
Les Hamilton, ASE Certified Technician