Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My jeep is skipping and misfiring when I accelerate keep…

Customer Question
My jeep is skipping...

My jeep is skipping and misfiring when I accelerate keep throwing o2 codes so I changed them still same issues and still throwing codes. Just checked wiring harness to upstream sensor and no power getting through it. What is next

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Does constantly. We also had a crack in manifold and was repaired and also gas a new catalytic conv

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

99 xj sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. We are fixed manifold new cat new 02 sensors

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Jeep Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 7 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Misfires are never cause by an O2 sensor, so you need to look at spark plugs, coils and CRANK sensor for the misfire. As for the O2 codes, we need to check the sensors with a scope first.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

I have pretty much every tool I could need so that's not a problem and can fix most things that's not a issue has new spark plugs will check could and crank sensor.

Great,

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Did you have any more questions for me at this time in chat?

thanks again, Ron

Would one of those issues you stated above cause the o2 codes. Also it starts fine and only sputters and missed when driving. New distributor cap new plugs. Heading to get new plug wires now. If that doesn't help where would you go next

No, the O2 codes are separate.

Would could get better information with a scan tool freeze frame data and MODE 6.

These modes supply a lot of information as well as fuel trims.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now for my time and keep our link in case you need me again later on.

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.