Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2010 jeep grand Cherokee, hot air on passenger

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 jeep grand Cherokee, hot air on passenger side, cold air on drivers side. all while in heat mode. all the dampers appear to be functioning, i can divert air to any one of the zones. the only temp difference i can get is when i turn the unit to recirc, and then its not hot but recirculated warm air from the passenger side

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself, at first i had a broken blend door actuator. i replaced that, and now i am here

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, i think thats it, thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/27/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 7 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have dual zone controls? seperate temps for the drivers and passenger side?

sir,

and which blend door actuator did you replace?

The one on the passanger side, it was up high on the right, not on the "center console"

nd does this actuator now move, when adjusting the passenger side?

It does not move when I adjust the temperature on the passenger side it does move when I turn the blower on and off and it does move when I change it from/to recirculation

ok, that is the recirculaton door actuator, you need ti replace the passenger side temp blend door actuator,Tim

I can locate 4 damper actuators, they are all moving. I can also see that the "shafts" they're attached to are also moving. Do you have a diagram showing the location of the one you think may be the problem?

below is a diagram of the temp blend door actuator for the passenger side, it is #2 in the picture,Tim

That one is functioning,

it should only move when changing the temp setting for the passenger side???

but it does work. I get plenty of heat on the passanger side, i get no heat on drivers side, which i can see both actuators on the drivers side moving

ok, so then its the drivers side that does not get hot?

Correct

ok, and you can physically see the door operating when adjusting the drivers side temp?

but I'm going to take off the drivers side actuator and turn it by hand to see if there's any resistance, and that should confirm if the door itself is broken or damaged

ok, then either the door is broken, which is very uncommon, or the heater core is plugged partially, which is a common problem with these, the driverside draws air off the bottom portion of the heater core, qand the pass side draws off the top, when sediment gets into the core, the bottom portion ges plugged first, and the drivers side does not get heat, remove the actuator, and warm up the vehicle, and manually turn the actuator rod, if the heat does not change, then you have a partially plugged heater core,Tim

The adapter from the actuator to the door hinge is sheared off, i can manipulate the door and get heat.

then you will need anew actuator, is it the gear on the actuator that is sheared?

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim