Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Lost gauges when I accidently hooked up a speaker to the pci…

Customer Question
Lost gauges when I...

Lost gauges when I accidently hooked up a speaker to the pci bus wire.new bcm and new ecm.car runs great,just no gauges and all idiot lights on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine,abs,airbag

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

My reader also says link error

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Jeep?

2004 jeep liberty renegade

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Renegade yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried myself and then took to a mechanic,He,ready?New ecm,tried a replacement gauge cluster,put original back in,tried a used bcm.Put original back in.I sent my bcm to a specialist and got a NEW one and still no change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats about it.Other than no one could help me

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/27/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on. For whatever reason the instrument cluster isn't able to communicate with the respective modules that it's turning warning lights on for. The problem could be internal in the cluster or a bus issue. A failure in any module or a short to power or ground on the bus network will take the bus down.

Do you have an aftermarket radio installed now?

the radio works fine,just no gauges except tach,and check engine,seat belt,abs,gas,oil,lights are on

What radio is it?

kenwood

I need to know exactly what it is and how it's connected.

kenwood touch screen.The left rear speaker + wire was connected directly to the pc bus wire(Violet/yellow).When volume was turned up I had no sound out of the speaker,When I checked the wiring again,I noticed that The + wire from the radio should have been on the (brown/yellow) wire.looks almost the same .noticed it only when I put a LED light on both next to each other.Connected the wire correctly.Stereo sounds great.Drive off and noticed the dash gauges,(except Tach),dont work.All the lights(ABS,seat belt,check engine,oil,low gas)all light up.I took it to a mechanic.He replaced the pci,replaced the gauge ckuster and replaced the bcm with a used unit.still nothing.he then put the old dash back saying it wasn't at fault and said he couldn't find a new bcm.I found a new bcm.The place that I got it from first tested the old one and said main circut board was fried.I installed the bcm and still have the same problems.Also when I plug in the code reader I get a "LINK ERROR"on the screen.The reader gets power from the obd2 port but not a signal from the computer.Thats what happened

So is nothing connected to the bus wire now?

nothing
Do you have a scan tool?
but wont read. Only get link error

Have you measured bus voltage?

How do you check that

A digital voltmeter.

Ahh which pin am I testing?

You can check the bus wire at the radio.

what reading should I get? Should I just do an ohm reading looking for a short or should I be getting a voltage reading?

You need to test voltage on the circuit with the key on and let me know what you find.

1.25-1.40 volts varies very rapidly

What are you using for a scan tool? You previously had mentioned just a code reader.

actron code reader with can bus

So it's a code reader, not a scan tool? You don't have a way of knowing what modules do and don't communicate if it's a generic code reader.

that is correct
CUSTOMER STATES THE DASH DOES NOT LIGHT UP
AFTER INSTALLING AN AFTERMARKET RADIO. CHECK
AND ADVISE.
FOUND COMMMUNICATION FAULTS BETWEEN ALL CONTROL
MODULES IN VEHICLE. CLUSTER WAS SENT OUT TO BE
REFLASHED. RECIEVED INSTRUMENT CLUSTER BACK. NEED
TO BRING THE VEHICLE TO THE PROGRAMMER FOR
COMPLETE COMMUNICATION RECONFIGURATION. AFTER
RECONFIGURATION FOUND VEHICLE WAS STILL NOT
COMMUNICATING WITH THE BCM AND ECM. UNABLE TO FIND
BCM EITHER REMANUFACTURED OR NEW. FOUND A SALVAGE
BCM AND INSTALLED INTO VEHICLE. AT THIS TIME VEHICLE
ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE BCM. NO COMMUNICATION
WITH THE ECM. ORDERED A REMANUFACTURED ECM.
PROGRAMMED ECM TO VEHICLE. AT THIS TIME THERE WERE
INTERMITTENT COMMUNICATION FAULTS WITH THE BCM.
VEHICLE UNABLE TO START AT TIME, MODULE IS READING THAT
THERE SHOULD BE A TRANSMITTER IN KEY. FOUND ECM TO BE
REMANUFACTURED INCORRECTLY. ORDERED ANOTHER ECM
FROM MANUFACTURER. PROGRAMMED SECOND ECM TO
VEHICLE. FOUND VEHICLE TO BE COMMUNICATING
CORRECTLY WHEN INITIALLY STARTED. AFTER 10-20 MINUTES
WHILE VEHICLE IS ON THERE IS NO LONGER COMMUNICATION
WITH THE BCM. NEEDS NEW BCM. UNABLE TO FIND A NEW
BCM. INFORMED CUSTOMER IF THEY RECIEVE A NEW OR
REMANUFACTURED BCM TO BRING VEHICLE BACK TO
REPROGRAM TO VEHICL
this is the invoice from my last mechanic.He moved

You're going to need a scan tool capable of communication with each module to begin diagnosis, you need to know for sure what modules do and don't communicate with a scan tool and with each other. Bus voltage at the radio was fine so there isn't a short to power or ground that's affecting the whole network.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician