Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Service light is on. Unable to put vehicle in 4 wheel drive.

Customer Question
Service light is on...

Service light is on. Unable to put vehicle in*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. What is the make/model/year of your car?

Jeep Liberty limited 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried to fix it myself. Rather have someone else do it. But was wondering the cost for something like this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/26/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on. Cost to repair the problem will vary depending on what is wrong. The service four wheel drive warning is on because the TIPM has seen a failure in the system that will prevent proper operation and has set fault codes.

It will require some electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem could be with the switch itself, the TIPM, wiring; the most common cause would be the transfer case motor itself. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.