Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

1989 jeep Comanche 2wd automatic= Engine cranks well,but…

Customer Question
1989 jeep Comanche 2wd...

1989 jeep Comanche 2wd automatic= Engine cranks well,but wont start on cold mornings. at one time I shook the wires under neath the dash and its started. what should I be looking for as far the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

I have changed spark plugs with plug wire,distributor assy, fuel filter and complete fuel lines.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Comanche yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I took the motor out last year and sent it off to get it overhaul. I have reinstalled eng.also installed a four core radiator and water pump with thermostat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/25/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on and it's going to require some testing at the time the problem is happening to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem may be loss of spark due to something such as bad crank sensor, you may be losing fuel pressure, it's possible that the engine controller isn't awake due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground.

Have you tested spark and fuel pressure at the time it won't start?