Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Master Service Technician
100266682

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 I6 overcharging the battery. Both

Customer Question

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 I6 overcharging the battery. Both dash voltmeter and external voltmeter confirm 19 volt reading. The alternator has been replaced twice and the problem persists. What is causing the overcharging of the battery if it isn't the alternator? Does the ECM control the voltage regulator?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes the battery was tested with the voltmeter. The battery wasn't leaking. A new battery was installed.
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself. I have replaced the alternator twice in the past 3 days and still the overcharging is happening. Does the ECM control the voltage regulator? Could the ECM be faulty?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Gabriel Grey replied 12 months ago.
Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to help you with this.The voltage is commanded on these via the ECM. So if the ECM sends the incorrect signal it will cause faulty charging requests. I would recommend tracing the signal wire from the alternator to the ECM, if there is a short in the morning it could cause an unneeded charging request