Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel. I had it in…

Customer Question
Clicking noise when turning...

Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes. I had it in the shop to check it out and they greased it, but it still clicks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought it used and the service department at Auto Lenders checked it out, but still clicks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/21/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did they tell you what was found clicking?

Let me know,thanks Pete

They said that it just needed to be greased.

Is the noise high up in the steering column or lower down?

Lower down

O.k.,since they have already tried to lubricate this and this sounds like the intermediate steering shaft connection this intermediate shaft would need replaced.I have seen some of these fail and causes this issue here and when lubricating it does not work then it will need replaced.

Now if the noise is in the steering column itself with a bearing they lubricated then the steering column assembly would need replaced to resolve this fault here.

Most common is the intermediate shaft needing replaced but if the noise was the column bearings then the column will need replaced unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician