Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Our 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee was stolen & recovered. Had to…

Customer Question
Our 1995 Jeep Grand...

Our 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee was stolen & recovered. Had to have a new key made which works but the alarm won't turn off. How can we turn off the alarm??

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It's brand new key made by a locksmith (the original key was not in the car when it was recovered).

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car works, the engine starts but the alarm won't turn off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Will your new key work in the drivers door to lock and unlock the door?

Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. If the lock cylinder switches in te front doors and liftgate are still good, then inserting the key into the door and liftgate locks and turning the key to the unlock position should shut off the alarm. If not, then the other option would be to have a new remote fob programmed to the Jeep or pul the door panels and replace the door lock key cylinder switches.

I hope this helps.

Chris

You have to lock the drivers door with the key, then unlock the door with the key to turn the alarm off.