Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Will not start after sitting for a while. let it sit and it…

Customer Question
Will not start after...

Will not start after sitting for a while. let it sit and it will start. Always starts in the morning and runs fine.afraid to go to store to shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes , cleand and tightend

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1997 jeep cherokee sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Pressure relive does squirt fuel when runing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No pressure when just turning on key ,only when started

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 7 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check
for spark at the plugs with a spark tester. Check
compression too for a possible valve timing issue with a
compression gauge. You can check fuel pressure with a
gauge and all of these tools should be available to you at
your local parts store for rent or purchase. You need to
check for any stored codes in the computer with a
code reader or a scan tool. The code reader only gives the
codes and definitions, where the scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have anymore questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.