Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 1996 jeep cherokee and the key fob no longer

Customer Question
I have a 1996...

I have a 1996 jeep cherokee and the key fob no longer disables the immobiliser.there is no purple and yellow wire in the door panel. The engine turns over but does not start. No power to fuel pump or ecu. What to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Car was parked went to start next day and no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing my self. Local garage has looked for purple/yellow wire - no wire in door.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can not think of anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

This way I will know if this is something I can help with or not.

VIN 1J4FJB8S3TL268028

Are you sure the VIN is correct?

If so, I will not be able to assist you.

Sorry about that

VIN is correct. Presumably there will not be a charge. Nigel

I can leave this open for UK experts as they may be able to assist you.

Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you're missing a power feed to the PCM then depending on which power feed it could be a blown fuse, wiring, or if it's the switched power feed then it could potentially be a bad ignition switch.

Have fuses been checked?
Do you know if it's the switched or constant power feed that is missing?

Hi. All the fuses and wiring and ignition have been checked by my local garage where the car is. All fuses etc correct. Other suggestions please. Nigel
You said there is 'no power to the PCM'?
Correct to PCM. nigel

If there is a power feed missing from the PCM the only possible causes are wiring, a blown fuse, and if it's the switched power feed then it could be the ignition switch. If someone told you that you are missing a power feed yet there are no problems with the vehicle then you need someone more experienced doing the testing.

I have been told by someone else that it is not an immobiliser problem but a sensor problem. Nigel

Factory security or a sensor problem cannot affect PCM power feeds.

You have not answered my question but you have had a payment. I expect this to be returned. Nigel

I'm trying to help you but cannot do so without communication. I last replied over three days ago and have not heard anything from you since, maybe you tried to reply but did not.

As I mentioned if your PCM is missing a power feed then it's due to a blown fuse, wiring issue or it could be the ignition switch if it's the switched power feed that is missing.