Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 2003 Jeep Liberty (6 cylinder) starts fine and runs

Customer Question
My 2003 Jeep Liberty...

My 2003 Jeep Liberty (6 cylinder) starts fine and runs without the battery light coming on right away. After about 1 minute of driving the battery light will come on and stay on for as long as I drive the vehicle (even 30 miles of freeway driving at 70 mph). If however I stop some place after the engine has warmed up, turn the motor off and then restart (within a few hours) the battery light does not come back on again until parked over night. I have check battery terminals and they are fine (both clean and tight).

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

I have not tested either one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I intend to fix it myself (replace either the battery or alternator) but I want to chose the right one. Why would the battery light stay on in one instance (cold start) and turn off (re-start after warm). It should just go off if the alternator begins sufficient charging or the battery warms up enough to be holding a charge?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Has anything been replaced?

Not recently. I want to know why the "battery light" comes on after a short drive and stays on until I shut off the warm engine and restart. It then does not come on again I let it set over night.
I do not want a membership and I will not be satisfied with your service if that is the only response I get.

That wasn't me, it is website automatically offering membership.

Please review the question I have asked and let me know what you think.

It sounds like vehicle is charging properly but I'd double check with a meter, if not replace the alternator. If it is charging properly this would mean problem is PCM or the instrument cluster. The PCM monitors voltage if it it determines voltage is low it sends signal to instrument cluster to turn on battery light. So next step would be to use a scantool to monitor PCM voltage during problem, if PCM is reading good voltage this would mean instrument cluster has failed. If PCM is showing low voltage then check actual voltage on wiring going to PCM, if good replace the PCM. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Thank you for that response. I will go and measure the voltages and analyze the PCM now. Again thank you for the response. I was also promised that the $5.00 was refundable. Please take what every course of action to do the refund and cancel any membership offers to me. I do not want to be on any email list either.

I do not get compensated for my time or information if you get a refund, would you like me to proceed?

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Or you can email***@******.*** for refund. Thanks.