Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Battery died and after starting it the engine won't reve…

Customer Question
Battery died and after...

Battery died and after starting it the engine won't reve up...I disconnected the battery and it stayed running so I know the charging system is ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes..no corrosion and I took them off and put them back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2014 cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

As above I charged the battery and started it up...disconnected the battery while running to see if the charginging system was working and it was...While running at idle I trying to rev it up and it won't.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

This issue is likely a problem with the throttle body or drive by wire system. You will need to get a scan tool or code reader hooked up to the diagnostic connector under the dash and read/pull codes from the computer. This could be a faulty throttle body, wiring issue, blown fuse or a simple sensor.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Can you really in park on these vehicles? After charging the battery my wife took off and it was fine...
I’m sorry I don’t understand your last reply?
Sorry Rev in park
you can rev the engine in park
Well, I couldn't rev it and in the end she jumped behind the wheel and drive it to work. I am still perplexed.
Drove
Glad to hear it’s all fixed
No, it's not fixed as short of charging the battery I did nothing...I'll take it to the dealer.

So it still does not rev up in park?

I thought your wife was able to drive it to work?

Exactly. .couldn't get it to rev..left the battery on charger... she insisted she wanted to try to drive it to work...she backed out of the driveway and away she wrnt...I am waiting to hear if she needs me later to jump the battery again but she apparently made it there.

Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up. Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.