Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee...I made the mistake last year of…

Customer Question
Hi,,,2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee...I...

Hi,,,2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee...I made the mistake last year of replacing the muffle unit at a local garage with a Walker Unite rather than original Mopar part..(at the front they had to use a flange pipe as it did not fit flange to flange like original unit)....When I get up to highway speed...65-75...i get a banging sound, like metal on metal....and when I get off highway and stop at light, it continues...Where the pipe bends near the back (just forward of R rear tire, it is very close to the chassis(looks to be designed that way)...Been back to a great 5 Star dealer JEEP dealer mechanic who has attempted to fix twice, but problem continues...IT's a metal on metal sound in the back and the only ring it can be,,,,,,...thanks,,,Lance Morrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Random ...since installation...when back to guy who put the Walker unit on twice and they "adjusted" the muffler and been to Jeep dealer twice....Def. coming from exhaust unit...only thing it can be.... .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

NO...actually going back to Jeep dealer in 1 hr....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No...thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 5 months ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

the only way to correct is a oem muffler or heating the pipe cherry red and bending it away from what it is rubbing on.... a factory muffler is the best option

Hi...thanks...heading to dealer in 30 minutes....the guy who put it on did bend muffler but I guess just not enough...when he puts it on the lift, can i send you a pic .of the area I think it is?...There can't be any other metal on metal sound that I'm aware of coming from that....This unit cost me 700.00and a new Mopar is about 1K out the door so trying to avoid that....my mistake for not using manufactures part....thanks.....Lance Morrow

yes send a pic a good muffler shop should be able to make it right

Hi...thanks for your help....it tuns out that it wasn't muffler....after 2 previous visits and attempts...I kept on telling the dealership "it's the muffler".so that's what they kept looking at.......so after you responded and before i went to the Jeep service dept. I took one more look under the right rear tire and realized that it seems to be the plastic liner above the wheel was very loose and slapping up against the carriage and the mud flap....same thing on left rear side.....took it to Jeep and the mechanic was able secure it and drill some screw into the liner and mud flap....put a lot of miles on since I picked it up.....anyway, thanks for your help and info and if I need another muffler (car only has 90K on it) it will be manufacture type....regards,..Lance

thank you best of luck...oe is expensive but it fits correct

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy