Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

2008 jeep grand cherokee 5.7l, had the pinion seal replaced

Customer Question

2008 jeep grand cherokee 5.7l, had the pinion seal replaced by dealership about 3 weeks ago, just yesterday the rear differential is whining all the time, I am wondering if the pinion nut wasn't tightened correctly. From what im reading on forums everyone is stating that the pinion load is not correct causing the whine
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I usually tend to but not right now as i am at work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: replaced the rear driveshaft due to bad u-joints, but i dont feel that is my issue
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

You need to contact the dealer who did your last repair as soon as you can now, stating this has just occured.

More than likely the oinion nut has been over or under tensioned.

Very common to many diffentials.

Outcome is dependent on skill level.

Hope this helps you.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Gary
that is kinda what i figured was wrong, just with my luck I feel like I'm going to have to pay for their mistake, knowing this dealership. Im supposed to be driving 1000 miles Wednesday night so hopefully this is something that is a quick fix. I noticed the noise sunday AM pulling into a friends driveway around ~5mph, family member used jeep to go to work today, I took it tonight to come to work and the noise is quite louder than it was when i noticed it this morning. Going to either call the dealership first thing in AM or just show up as they are ten minutes from my work and i get out when they open. If it is something that could have happened from skill level, in your honest opinion do you think they would even admit that? and possibly not charge me as I paid them $1500 a few weeks ago
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I have seen how some other young guys do this type of job, and sometimes the resultant failure, exactly like yours has now.

It will need pinion bearings for sure.

If you can shine a good light at the pinion and you don't see any centrepunch witness marks, then whoever did the job has just guessed where the nut was.

Torqueing the nut after disassembly is generally to tight, since the collapsible spacer is not a restictrion to applied torque on reassembly.

3 weeks of average driving after a repair like this is a workmanship induced failure.

I hope this helps you.

Gary