Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Not charging, tested all wires and connections, trying to…

Customer Question
Not charging, tested all...

Not charging, tested all wires and connections, trying to figure out if its the regulator in the pcm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes, fuses good. don't have diagram

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

07 patriot 2.4 sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had alternator tested, checked continuity of leads from alternator to pcm, inspected all grounds. it works for a bit then the battery light returns within 1-3 days

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am considering installing an external voltage regulator but want to confirm that the issue is in the pcm.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/20/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The PCM is definitely a possible cause of the alternator not charging but it's very uncommon. By far the most common cause would be the alternator itself. Not knowing the conditions in which it was tested in, it's still highly suspect.

What exactly was done to test the alternator?

I took it out and had it bench tested at a parts store. When I got it back together it worked for a day and a half, did some tests on the wiring for continuity, changed the battery terminals and removed and inspected all grounds. It worked for 3 days and stopped charging again. That time when I started it, it made a knocking sound I hadn't heard before but didn't last long.
The only valid testing is done on the vehicle while the battery light is on.Was the knocking noise from the alternator area?
Yeah, it happened on startup so I was inside the vehicle. I just checked the red wire with grey stripe at the pcm and it has 12v, is that normal? The code when this all started is p0622 generator field not switching, probably would've been good info to start with.
By the way, the red/grey wire was tested without being plugged into the pcm

The PCM is controlling the alternator and the alternator is not responding. It needs to be replaced.

Replaced alternator, not charging. Is there a reset button?

There is nothing to 'reset'.

Where did the alternator come from and how are you determining it isn't charging?