Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Goes in and out of overdrie. 2000 Grand cherokkee loredo. No…

Customer Question
Goes in and out...

Goes in and out of overdrie

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2000 Grand cherokkee loredo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No codes showed up

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

No codes are showing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tranny is full with fluid, no burnt smell, color is a nice clean red

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/18/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If it's shifting in and out of fourth gear or torque converter lockup at a steady speed the most likely cause would be the throttle position sensor. When the TPS gets worn and starts to create voltage spikes in it's signal. This will be seen as the throttle being opened when it actually isn't so it will cause the torque converter clutch to disengage, in some cases it will force a downshift. If you're experiencing up and downshifting while driving at a steady speed then odds are you have a bad TPS.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

That wasn't the problem still does it after replacing TPS

Can you describe exactly what is happening?

there is no check engine light and no code, goes in and out of overdrive, light flashes on OD off and overheat flashes on the same time, it goes in and out time to time, can it be the governor pressure switch and pressure solenoid?

It's inhibiting overdrive because of the overheat. You either have a bad temperature sensor which is part of the governor transducer, or the problem is actual overheat due to cooler restriction or clutch slippage.