Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Jeep wont start after itsw hot let it sit 45 min and it will…

Customer Question
Jeep wont start after...

Jeep wont start after itsw hot let it sit 45 min and it will start and when it wont start nothing happens all lights come on just dosnt even try

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Dash lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

2008 jeep wrangler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

New starter new groud to motor and battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All the little fixes shifting though the gears reseting the computer don't work you just have to wait

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/17/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch / pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch / starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

where dose that wire hook to the motor

Hello

if you mean the large starter wire its connected directly onto the positive battery terminal, so follow that wire down to the starter