Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I hook the jumper cable up backwards and smoke was coming…

Customer Question
I hook the jumper...

I hook the jumper cable up backwards and smoke was coming out from under the driver side dash and now it will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No corrosion new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1993 jeep grand Cherokee laredo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tested the under hood fuses but haven't figured out what the smoke was coming from under the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Recently did trans gasket and filter

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/17/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. OH NO! not good! When the polarity is reversed you damage many if not all electronic controllers and modules in the vehicle. The smoke was probably from the Body Control Module, Instrument cluster, Air bag module, radio, HVAC control, etc. The PCM (engine computer) was probably damaged. This may be an expensive repair. Do you have a good scan tool like a Snap On that can communicate with all of the control modules on the Jeep?

Chris

No scan tool especially not a snapon

Darn, well you probably should get the Jeep to a dealer or automotive electrical shop and ask them to see what was damaged and then go from there. Sometimes insurance may help cover it because after all it was an accident right?

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply.

Chris

I did purchased a scanner I have an obd2 but had to bite the bullet and get an obd1 for a Chrysler product

Gotcha. Ok, let me know if you are able to communicate with the PCM with your scanner when you get a chance.

Chris

Scanner is not communicating with the vehicle at all
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 7 months ago

Not good. Your reverse polarity accident most likely fried the PCM, BCM, and who knows what else. The smoke under the dash was probably from the BCM.