Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have an 86 Comanche that when turning especially on uneven

Hi...I have an 86 Comanche...
Hi...I have an 86 Comanche that when turning especially on uneven ground makes a thinking or thuds sound. It does’nt do it all the time. Why or what is causing this?
JA: Are you fixing your Comanche yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, not yet.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So there has to be some component in the suspension that becomes under load and then has give when load applied, I would start by checking everything with pry bars in the front suspension, also re torque all bolts in the resting position

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
First, sorry about the spelling. That was suppose to be thunking. I’ve done some prying and such. I guess I have’nt gone far enough.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The vehicle has about 88,000 miles on it if that helps.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have a feeling that it may need new ball joints all around.

yeah it sounds like you just need a good front end shake down

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok...well onward and forward. Thanks for your time.

sure thing! Good luck with everything

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician