Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a knocking sound coming from under my arm rest in my…

Customer Question
I have a knocking...

I have a knocking sound coming from under my arm rest in my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It doesn't feel like it is from the engine or transmission. It even is knocks with the car just turned off. Idea what that might be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It just started about an hour ago. It moves from under the arm rest to near the glove box.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can fix it myself if is not to difficult. I havent tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/15/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried removing panels to pinpoint the noise?

No I have not

I woulds start with that first, what your describing is not a common issue

OK. Stand by... Does the money I just paid give me access to you until I find the problem and fix it or we think it should be taken into a mechanic?

this chat will stay open for as long as we need to get the problem fixed, and I dont know your capabilities so I dont know if it will need to be taken in or not

Ok stand by...
OK. Just did some trouble shooting. It appears that it has something to do with the blower. When the fan is blowing heat, it doesn't make the knock. The fan just stops working and the knock happens. Just one knock then after a few moments maybe another one, then the fan starts again. It appears that the sound is focused under the center console to the left of the glove box.

so if you play around with the hvac controls can you get it to do it consistently ?

No the system automatically shuts the fan off. Then it starts the knock.

sounds like you may have a blend door issue, the next step would to be to determine which one it is,

I have to run out for a bit but ill be back in a few hours

That's fine. Me to. I will look on YouTube to see if I can figure it out. I will get back to you with more questions on Thursday.
Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

hows it coming?

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman