Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I am working on a 06 jeep with a 2.8 L diesel, and I need…

Customer Question
Hello , I am...

Hello , I am working on a 06 jeep with a 2.8 L diesel , and I need info on the turbocharger

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Ten years , and we have had it here at the dealership for at least 4 + weeks we are trying to diag a loss of power concern and code P0299

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Jeep?

Liberty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Another tech changed the timing belt and also found multiple injectors leaking compression ,He corrected that but we still have a P0299 code Issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How familiar is he with the inner workings of the turbocharger , testing it ect.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/13/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

P0299 is RARELY caused by the turbocharger. Most common is a split or torn intercooler hose or a leaking intercooler or intake air system component.

Fortunately, it is EASY to inspect a Turbo for issues. Remove the intake hose off of the turbocharger inlet and inspect the compressor wheel. If it appears in good condition and not rubbing the side walls, it should be fine. Be sure to inspect the turbo with the vehicle OFF and the KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION.

You can at that point spin the compressor wheel and see if it spins freely, also check for signs of "Sandblasting" of the fins themselves. If the turbo appears fine and spins well, most likely the turbo is fine. If there was a problem with the Wastegate part of the turbo the ECM would have codes stored against the turbo actuator. Now if you find signs of sandblasting and the fins appear to be "Thinning" or missing you WILL need to REPLACE the turbocharger. There is no possibly of rebuilding turbochargers in the field. Any attempts to disassemble and repair turbochargers usually ends up with catastrophic results so it is HIGHLY recommend to replace turbo if it is found to be faulty...

Remember, closely inspect the intake system and you will likely find the problem...

If you find nothing there, Carefully inspect to be sure the timing was set up properly when the timing belt was installed...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

Hello Robert ,We checked the hoses and charge air cooler , no leaks found . There is a new air cleaner . I also was able to measure the boost pressure at the egr by pass valve /CAC hose connection and had 15 lbs of boost under load

Did you find any oil sprayed anywhere throughout the intake air system? Oil spray concentrated in a certain area is a sign of a boost pressure leak. Inspect carefully.

Keep in mind that boost pressure is also directly related to the ability of the engine to breathe properly, meaning it should be able to get air in to the engine unrestricted as well as be able to get air out of the engine. Even a problem with the exhaust system can cause issues. A leaking exhaust manifold port or cracked exhaust manifold can also be a source of low boost. Engine Valve Timing is also very important.

At this time, I recommend to inspect the turbo and then post back the results and we can go from there...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is a pic showing a severe case of Turbocharger dusting. In this case, the air filter was plugged and got drawn into the air filter upper housing, dirt was bypassing the air filter and resulted in this: --->> Click Here to view <<---

Here is a pic showing that Air filter --->> Click Here to view <<---

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

Hello Robert . The other tech replaced the timing belt and it was in time before he changed it and it uses pins to set the timing to assure the timing is correct . I cut the exhaust apart before the cat converter . We have access to a like vehicle . What about the MAF sensor ??

MAF sensor is a possibility also, I have seen this in the past where the sensor failed in range and didn't set codes. Also, swap the boost pressure sensor in case it is failing...

I'm glad to hear that the special tools were used to replace the timing belt. Too many times I hear of someone who marked everything and replaced the belt that way but that is NEVER a good way to install a belt on this engine. Just making sure...

Thank you,

Robert

Hello Robert ! I work at a Chrysler Jeep Ram dealership , and have 30 years of experience . We haven' t seen a lot of these 2.8 L diesels .We have 2 of these in our service department at this time . This one came in with the injectors 1 ,2 , and ,4 with soot around the injectors and filled up the valley around the injectors . We repaired that issue and replaced the timing belt. Per the customer now the engine light comes on hence , the P0299 . They claim it has less power than before . I replaced both MAF and boost sensors , but I do not feel any difference in the power . Is there a way to verify the EGR is or is not the cause of the P0299 code ?
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician