Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I'm working on a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Trying to remove…

Customer Question
Hi. I'm working on...

Hi. I'm working on a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Trying to remove the half axle CV joint driver side. And it's not budging. Bout the new half axle and it appears there is a c clip holding. But no access to remove it... Any ideas on getting it out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've used pry bars, yanking, more prying tools... From what I've read it should pry out...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/11/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I know they can be a bit frustrating at times and yes, it is only held in with a clip. The only things I can say not being there? its all about EVEN prying and "popping" the axle out. What I mean is need to use 2 prybars as close to opposite each other as possible. Wedge them in, get a helper, and at same time? give one real hard "pop" of the axle. Do EVEN when doing this. When you try one prybar? the axle cocks on and angle which makes it but harder to remove. Its all about even pressure to pop it out, do not pry it on an angle/ Option 2? they make a CV axle removal tool you use a slidehammer on, It looks like the attached. Many parts tsore will rent them. Otherwise? there are NO other tricks, It will come out, some are just a bit harder than others. These are the 2 procedures we use when we have a tough one to remove

We got the tool. Didn't work. Tried two wedges and pry bars

then I have to opt out, no other tricks

Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The CV shaft is held in with the same retaining ring common to most CV shafts. Unless there is damage to the splines or they are rusted to each other then it's just a matter of using enough force to knock it loose.

Simply prying on the axle isn't likely to disengage the clip, it needs a fast, forceful snapping action. If you're trying to do this on the ground it's going to make things quite a bit harder. The best thing to do would be to use a prybar essentially as a chisel, preferably one with a striking cap. With the skid plate removed place the end of the prybar against the back side of the CV shaft and then use a 4 pound sledge to hit the prybar.

If for some reason the splines are damaged or rusted solid and it won't break loose then the CV shaft can be cut off.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.