Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My check engine light came on and now my 2012 Jeep Patriot…

My check engine light came...
My check engine light came on and now my 2012 Jeep Patriot is idling high and losses acceleration.
11/10/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, do the following within 5 seconds

Turn key in ignition on-off-on-off-on, leaving it in the on position(position just before cranking). Now look at the digital odometer. Fault codes should scroll across as Pxxxx codes - P2152 for example

Do this and let me know the codes

No code is showing
PS0240
Sorry. pS0420
No s. So sorry
P 0420
The code is P 0420

HI,

Ok, that is for catalytic converter inefficiency. This will cause loss of power/acceleration if clogged.

It does come with a 8yr/80,000 mile Federal Emissions Warranty, so if you are under 80K miles, it will be covered

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I have more miles than that. It that an expensive fix

At the dealer, around $1500 parts and labor.

At an exhaust shop with quality aftermarket converter such as a Walker brand, around $600 parts and labor

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, self employed
Phone call session started