Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have these problem since i acquire my jeep commander 2006…

Customer Question
I have these problem...

I have these problem since i acquire my jeep commander 2006 4.7L:

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?

1st it was the intermittent light on and off on the dashboard, i fix it by changing the ignition switch. The remaining problems are 2. Constantly going on limp mode with p0700 code and transovertemp message though i dont think its really overheating 3. There is shuddering when the gear shifts i think from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth, i have check online on what could be the root cause of these is the tcm and trans coolant return fliter need to be change, i just want some clarification to prioritize things to be done, thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Problem no1. Is fixed already by changing ignition switch, kindly help me with prob no. 2&3.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all i think for now, kindly connect me

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Jeep
11/7/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The trans issues are likely all related; it will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. There are dozens of possible causes for limp in including solenoids, wiring, speed sensors and internal trans issues.

Do you know what codes are setting in the transmission control module?

All i can recall is p0700 and p0171 if im not mistaken, however, my mechanic said the fix is to replace both tcm and transmission at the same time but i cant afford that, whats happening is that jeep starts fine, drive a couple like 10 kilometers turn off and after a few minutes if i start it again it goes to limp mode with trans overtemp message. And the shuddering start when shifting at somewhere in 40 to 60 km/hr at around 1500 to 1900 rpm but if i press on the gas up to around 2300 rpm there is no shuddering, is this the coolant return filter issue which is a tsb way back 2006 by chrysler

Those codes are in the PCM. You need the codes from the TCM.

Kindly clarify because my tcm is integral with the pcm, they are in one module, are you saying that with a scanner i need to check codes from the pcm and codes for the tcm, sorry, im new to these