Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a question regarding the rear brakes on my 04 WJ. I…

Good evening sir. I have...
Good evening sir. I have a question regarding the rear brakes on my 04 WJ. I purchased the vehicle a few months ago and noticed that the brakes had a bit of a pulsation in them. I ordered new rotors and pads for replacement. Upon removing the rear rotors I noticed an oily substance inside of each rotor and all over the shoes and other brake parts.There is no leakage from either of the calipers. They are totally dry. Do you have any idea where that oily substance may be coming from?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

If you have oil in the inside of the drum, then the axle seals must be leaking.

For the DIYer, is it a difficult task to change them?

Yes. You have to have a good press to press the bearings off and back on. You can pull the axles out, but you will need to take them to a machine shop to have the bearings and seals replaced.

If you decide to pull the axles yourself, you will have to replace the bearing races yourself. if you have a race tool, then you can replace these yourself.

Ok. Thanks for the info. You've been a great help.

You are very welcome.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech