Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Last time you helped me A LOT. Transmission from Grand

Hi Chris. Last time you...
Hi Chris. Last time you helped me A LOT. Transmission from Grand Cherokee 3.7 4x4 fitted right into my 2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8, 6.1. All good, trying to solve probably the last annoying bit, which is clunk in rear diff when shifting from R to D and vice versa. I can also feel this clunk when breaking, especially when it downshifts from 2 to 1 on break. I have found some info on rear axle here http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_srt8_specs.htm#REARAXLE but when I try to google DANA 44 226RBI 3.73:1 - I get nowhere. I was hoping that maybe 4x4 Grand Cherokee 3.7 or Wrangler had same rear differential as SRT? Basically I need some guidance, any info like vehicles that have same read diff, maybe links from ebay or any other online shop to differential case with spider gears that will fit my SRT etc. My vin btw is 1J8HR783X6C256999. I'm also attaching a picture of my diff just in case
10/18/2017
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome back!

Let me research this and get back to you .

Chris

So it appears as though a rear axle from a 2005 to 2009 Grand Cherokee will work in your SRT . A Wrangler is different (shock mounts, etc.). Just be sure it has the 3.73:1 gear ratio.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Chris, thanks for the update. By saying 2005 to 2009 Grand Cherokee you mean all models including 3.0 diesel or just that one 3.7 4x4?
All models. Just be sure that the gear ratios are the same.Chris

I hope my information/answer was again helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Good morning! I hope my information/answer was helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you! Chris
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Chris, maybe you know exact year/model of Grand Cherokee that had differential with 3.73 gear ratio from factory (except for SRT)?
Several years ( from 2005 to 2009) used that gear ratio. If you find one and have a VIN number I can look it up and verify the ratio for you.Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Thank you!Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman