Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1997 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0. CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START. P1389

CODE. I HAVE REPLACED DISTRUBER...
1997 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0. CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START. P1389 CODE. I HAVE REPLACED DISTRUBER CAP AND ROTOR. NEW PLUG WIRES. REPLACED CRANKSHAFT POSITON SENSOR. REPLACED ASD RELAY. CHECKED AND RECHECKED FUSES. NEUTRAL SAFTETY SWITCH HAS BEEN JUMPED. ENGINE IS DIRTY SOME LEAKAGE FROM THE CRANKSHAFT COVER GASKET.
10/17/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

This code is for the asd relay, Have you checked the fuses with a digital volt meter to see if you have 12 volts on all the fuses with the ignition switch in the run position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has fuel pressure. I have not checked spark. I need a second person and take out spark plug?

Lets see if you have power to the asd relay first. Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light so we can do some testing?

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forgive me in taking so long to send a picture . The image has been sent. Look forward to continuing.
Brian

There is no pic attached.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think we have made progress. The #10 fuse a 20 amp fuse which is the auto shut down controller has no voltage to the fuse or the box.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent the picture as a reply to the e mail you sent me. I have the owners manual with the diagrams and numbering and description of the fuses
. The original fuse you wanted to check is the one that seems to be out . I checked the voltage with the ignition on and off .

You have to up;load the pic here to this chat screen so i can see it. I do not have access to the email you sent the pic to.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The #10 and # 11 fuse have no voltage. The # 11 fuse is labeled the automatic shutdown O2 sensor. Is it possible that replacing that sensor will bring voltage back to the fuses? I am sorry you are not getting the picture. I think these two fuses not having power is the heart of the problem. I only checked the fuses before for continuity not for power. I will double check the ASD fuse inside the passenger compartment for power.

You said that you had power to two pins for the asd relay. If you have power to two pins at the asd relay, then fuse 11 in the fuse box under the dash should be good, as well as fuse 18 in the fuse box under the hood. If fuse 20 in the fuse box under the hood is bad, then that would cause the no start as this is the power from the relay out to the pcm. Fuse 20 will not have power ti it unless the asd relay was bad, or the pcm is not commanding the relay to activate. See if fuse 20 is a good fuse. If it is, replace the asd relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The information I gave you is correct. The relay has 2 12 volt power inputs . Fuse #10 and #11 have no power. I tested the fuel pump relay. Then I used the ASD relay for the fuel pump and it worked. Fuse # 10 is listed as the ASD controller and fuse #11 is listed as auto shut down oxygen sensor. I also bought a new relay and tried it in the ASD with no change.

Can you post the vin number for me please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1J4FJ68S1VL543793

I really need to see your fuse box. Can you try to add the pic you have of the fuse box to this chat screen so i can see it please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I posted on the Just Answer Facebook page. The post is Kalmykid this is my fuse box from Brian Berkley. click on the post and see the picture. Just answer was not helping me send a pic. I could not add it to our comments.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Go to Just answer's Facebook. Click on posts on the left side. It will come up as visitors posts. Click on the small picture icon by my name. I think we are closing in. Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I can not tell a lie, I fell asleep. Let me go and see if I can find you post.

Ok I see the pic. Thank so much. Now I can see what is going on. In the pic you sent as you look at it in the pic, I need you to test the fuses in the middle section " the small fuses" in the second row, the fuse to the left and the fuse to the right. They look like they are 20 amp fuses with a 15 amp fuse between them. See if both fuses ohm out to 0.00 ohms with the fuses pulled from the fuse box.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will be out for much of today but I will test the fuses thanks.

Let me know what the readings are.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tested the 9 fuses before going out today. The result is the same all fuses are good. # 10 and # 11 do not have power. fuses were removed visually inspected and checked for continuity.

What fuses are you calling 10 and 11? Where are they located and what amp are they?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are not the fuses you thought were associated with the ASD. They are the top two fuses on the left side. I sent a photo having the description and location of the fuses in the power distribution center from the owners manual. It is on Just Answer's facebook page. I will be home today so tell me where to go next . Thanks Brian

Let me know when you get home and we will go over what we need to do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am home. If the owner's manual can be of any further help I would be glad to send you more. It seems the fuses associated with the ASD in the power distribution center do not have power but the relay does. I have the off the shelf jeep repair book with wiring diagrams. I am challenged understanding these diagrams .

I do not know what your owners manual is telling you, but that information has to be wrong. If the fuses do not have voltage to them and you have voltage to the relay, then the fuses the manual is telling you are the wrong fuses. Throw the manual away and lets do the testing that needs to be done.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
18 is a 25 amp fuse for ASM and has power and continuity. #20 is an empty space. I sent you a picture of my PDC and the page from the owners manual that matches what is in the photo. The link you sent me is for a different PDC from the one I have in my jeep. Are you getting the photos I am sending by way of Facebook?
I realize there are an assortment of jeep PDC arrangements I am giving you the one I have.

I do not know what you are talking about. The pic you sent me of your fuse box has a 25 amp fuse in positions 18 and 20, with a 15 amp fuse between them.

In the pic you sent the fuses that are no in your fuse box are, 11,12,13,14,15,8,24,and 25.

Fuse 20 is in your fuse box, unless the pic you sent is not your fuse box.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The small fuses start with #9, #10 and #11 seem to be a problem with no power. # 17, #18 , #19 are the last row. # 20 is for fog light and is missing as the car has no fog light. #18 is a 25 amp fuse for the ASM which has 12 volts to both sides and the fuse is in good shape with continuity.

Stop going by your manual. Use the numbers in the diagram I sent you.

The other data you have is incorrect for your jeep. I do not know where you got the manual, but it is not for your jeep. THORW IT AWAY.

If you do not start listening to me and using the data I have given you, you are never gona get it to start and run again. Take a break, clear your mind, and come back ans start doing what I am asking you to do and we will find and fix your problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you studied what you sent me the small fuses are numbered not sequentially what I can read for the small center fuses is 16, 14, 21 , 24, next row 17, 19, 25, 25, next row blank 24, 22, 20 . This is crazy. You know what fuses have power and which don't. There are only 9 fuses. The 20 amp and 15 amp fuses closest to the relays have no power all the rest have power. All the fuses are good meaning they have zero ohms when tested for continuity. Lets move on.

In the diagram I sent you the small fuses are numbered starting left top to bottom, 16, 17, next row 18, 19, 20, next row 21,22,23 and the last row 24,25,and 26.

The space with no fuse in the diagram is not numbered, and is skipped. Check fuses 18 and 20 please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
16 and 17 have no power the rest are fine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will recheck the center row it will only take 3 minutes.

There are 4 rows, you need to check the second row from the left.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All fuses rechecked there is only 3 rows of small fuses each row has 4 spaces in it. The first row near the relays is open 20 amp 15 amp 10 amp. In that row the 20 and 15 amp fuses have no power. The second row is 20, 15 , 15 open, The third row is 15, 25, 15 amp open. The 25 amp fuse is of interest but has power and continuity.

That is where we are having a problem. There are 4 row of 3 fuses left to right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did the test . I first tested the ground then I tested the fuse with ignition off . Put the ignition on and no change. Tried starting the car big mistake. The relay clicked but I think I shorted the starter. I just replaced the starter so it seems that may be part of what is going on.

What relay clicked the asd, or the starter relay?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only heard the sound.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it was the starter because it was when I tried to start the car.

Check the battery voltage and see if the battery has a full charge. you have been doing a lot of testing and the battery may be weak and need to be charged.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just charged it but I am thinking I have a short. I was getting some small shocks working on the car . I was leaning over the battery so I assumed my that was the reason. Now that I think about it I was over the negative terminal. I will check the voltage.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Voltage is over 12 .

Double check the wires to the starter and make sure they are tight.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The wire bracket is securely bolted to the starter and wires seem to be secure. I put the starter in about a week ago and the wires looked OK when I was attaching it. I have cranked the car a number of times since then.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not that sure with the shocks . I may have made contact with the positive terminal.

You had to have. There really is not enough voltage to get a shock, unless you are a little sweaty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is Miami, I was very sweaty.

Then that would explain it. With you not getting voltage to the out put fuse from the asd relay, we have some more testing to do. See if you can find out why the starter did not work, as the next test you will have to turn the engine over for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try it again it sounded like it started to crank then died.

Double check the battery cable ends as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The negative end of the battery cable needs repair. The starter will not start . I hear a sound when I turn the key . I am sure it is the relay for it was not a click sound. There are couple wires squeezed together in a auto replacement terminal.

Rep[lace the cable end and see if the starter will turn the engine over again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will do. I will be hours. Thanks for the direction.

Chat with you in a bit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You were right on two counts. The starter worked with a new battery terminal and the battery needs to be recharged which will take hours . Thanks

Let me know when you are ready to get back to work on it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery is recharged. Battery cables look good. The car still will crank and not start. I will be in and out today but ready to take the next step.

What we will need to do next is trigger the asd relay manually with the piece of wire you have. You will also need a test light. Do you have one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can buy one. I am going out anyway so I will pick up a test light.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I may have a neighbor that may assist me. If I do is there something that would work with assistance? I have to go out will check back in a while.

I will be in and out today myself, so will check in on you as best I can.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I had to tend to some other problems. I am ready to continue working. I have a test light. I will check if I have a charge on the battery . It may be possible the battery is draining.

Do you have a helper this morning?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will have to check with my neighbor . He said if he is home he will help. The battery has charge.

Let me know if he can come help you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Tell me what you want to do with him and I he is in I will do it. If he is not available I will tell you.

You will just need him for 10 minutes. All he has to do is turn the ignition switch in and off a few times.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, go on . I am not working from my phone . l am on a desktop so you have to tell me the test so I can do it uninterrupted.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Do you want me to remove a spark plug and test if it has spark?

Not yet. What I need you to do is check fuse 20 again but this time check it for voltage. You will have to have you meter set up on the fuse, and then have your helper turn the ignition switch to the ruin position, as the fuse will only get power for about 5 seconds. Check both sides of the fuse, having your helper turn the switch on each time you test the fuse.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will see if he is available and let you know the results.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I checked fuse 20. It does not get power with the ignition switch turned on. I could hear relays snapping .

Did you have your helper turn the switch in for you? The fuse would only have power for 5 seconds after the switch was turned on.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I had him repeat it twice.

I have to head out for a little bit. Is there a good time when we can connect back on here to go over the next few steps? You will not need your helper anymore.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Tell me the next step as soon as you can I will be checking for you answer.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I got a spark tester which plug to the plug on one end and the wire on the other with a light in the middle. I tested 2 plugs and the connection to the distributer cap all with no spark.

We need to manual trip the asd relay and see if we can get power to the coils, pcm, and injectors. Let me know when you are ready and we can go over what you need to do.,

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sure I am ready.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The diagram is on my computer I do not have a printer but I can refer to it anytime.

Pull the asd relay out please, and with the ignition switch in the run position, tell me what two pins have 12 volts on them please, use the numbers in the diagram.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
will do

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
2,#4, I was reading just over 9 volts but that my have to do with contacts.

What is the voltage at the battery?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
will check
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It is a bad rain storm right now. I did check the battery which was 12.1. I rechecked fuses about 2 hours ago and the center fuses were 12.1 except 20 and the adjoining fuse. I will recheck the voltage to the relay . My thought was the relay is harder to get good contact. I can when it is not raining check voltage to the ASD and the fuel pump relay which I know is working to see if they are different.

Let me know when it stops raining.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Cold front coming through it is expected to rain into the night time. I will test it as soon as I can . I expect you will want to jump power to one of the other legs of the relay with a wire and see if the car starts.

I want to run a ground to the asd relay to the correct pin. We will nee to do some more testing to make sure we add the ground to the correct one.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sure

Chat with me soon.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am available. You were talking about more testing with the ASD relay.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I tested the plugs an no spark. I have replaced the distributer and wires. I took a tester and hooked the clip to my positive battery terminal and the probe to the input wire into the coil. With the car cranking the light was flashing. Does that mean that my problem is the coil?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have not heard from you. Please let me know where you want to go and what your thoughts are as to what we know and what the plan is.

If the test light flashed, then yes the coil may be the problem.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I was looking at the coil and the two bolts are difficult to access. There are two wires going to from the car to the coil. One is from the computer forming a ground and the other is a power lead I believe. The computer lead is getting a signal. The power lead should have power with the ignition on. Is the test to use a test light from the negative battery terminal to the power lead.

No. You have to connect the test light to the batteries positive post and test the signal wire from the computer.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I did that test and got a pulse.

The try a new coil. If the pcm is sending out a pulse, the coil shoud be getting power as well and should fire. Do you have positive power to the other wire when turning the engine over?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I do not have positive power to the coil. I want to try one last thing before I give the car to a mechanic. I want to jump the ASD relay if it is safe to do it. I know #2 and #4 have power. If the relay is tripped what two pins on the relay base should be connected? Thanks

The coil must be getting power when the engine is turning over for it to have spark. The asd relay is only active for 5 seconds if the engine is not turning over. REPLACE THE COIL.

I am sorry that last message was not meant for this chat screen.

I was trying to get you to trip the relay. Jumping the asd relay will not tell us what I need to know so I can help you find the problem. let me know when you are ready to get back to work on this and I will walk you through the rest of the steps to manually trip the asd relay so we can see if the whole system works.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you for that input.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech