Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

What provides the ground to the blower motor? (1996 jeep…

What provides the ground to...
What provides the ground to the blower motor? (1996 jeep grand cherokee)
10/17/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Ok - thanks.

Chris,

The blower motor gets its ground from the Ac control panel through the blower motor resistor which also control the blower motor speed by varying the resistance for ground from the controller to through resistor to the blower motor. See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g41q6cby7qbamk1/Blower%20motor%20Oct%2016.pdf?dl=0

where does the ground transition from black at the fender to green? And is this the dark green wire in the fan speed select switch connector?
I guess what I'm looking for is where I can verify ground before it gets to any switching functions.. Thanks.

If you have a look at the wiring diagram you will see the wire is black from the resistor to the blower motor and then from the resistor to the controller on the light green wire (pin #2) at the controller. The dark green wire comes from the power fuse (#12) to the controller .

You can verify ground at the controller on the black wire that turns to dark green as well on pin #4 at the controller.

Pin number 4 on the fan switch connector?

The ground is pin #4 at the controller connector . It is the dark green wire .

By controller you are talking about the three knob cluster with the fan switch on the left?

The fan switch is part of the control panel , there is no dark green wire in the fan connector , that wire is the light green wire to the resistor, you will find the dark green wire in the main plug in the control panel.

My fan switch connector has two greens, one light and one dark. So if the ground strap link on the controller is grounded, should any of the pins of fan connector read to ground?
I've got voltage at fan, resistors read ok, but can't get ground at fan...

The ground comes from the control panel through the blower motor switch and that ground will vary on any one of the 3 wires to control the blower motor speed. If your sure your fan is okay as well as the resistor then check for ground at the control panel on the dark green wire. If you have a good ground in and nothing coming out of the blower switch then controller is the bad.

I don't see any dark green wires except the one on the fan speed connector...there is a dark green with pink stripe, and a light green, and another light green on fan switch connector. The only lines that are grounded are orange, and purple w/white stripe.

The dark green/pink is the power feed wire from the fuse #12, The dark green is the ground. See the link below. I marked it for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7zgjx044ojgrut/control%20head%20Oct%2016.pdf?dl=0

Ok, so that must be the dark green in the fan speed selection connector that is marked number 4 in the socket - and it does not read to ground...

If you have done your testing right and you have power and ground at the control panel this dose sound like the controller is at fault .

just to make sure you know what I have, there are two connectors on the control module - one into the heat/cool level pot, the other to the fan speed switch. The center switch is a vacuum switch for directing the air to defrost etc., and just has vacuum lines hooked to it. The larger gauge dark green wire is in the fan speed connector and does not read to ground. Should it be grounded?

The dark green wire (pin #4 at the control panel) should read ground whether the blower works or not as it is the ground for the controller. If you add a momentarily ground to it dose the blower then work?

I will try that when I get home and let you know - at work right now. Thank you for the help.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

as soon as I touched the green wire with my test light to ground the blower came on, and remains working. Is there a relay in the fan switch, or was I just hearing arcing in there? Any idea where the connection from black to green is on the ground?

The relay is in the control panel and not service separate but the ground is the issue, If you look at the diagram you will see the dark green wire turns to black and it grounds at the right fender shield at the battery, you may want to consider just overlaying a new ground.

Yeah, it looks good at the fender, so I may need to do that. I think I should be good from here. Thanks again for the help, and I'll do the rating now. Have a good rest of your day!

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Just thought I'd let you know the dark green ground is connected to the inner fender black ground at a 16 pin connector right behind the glove box. Mine melted the connector there.

That would sure do it, glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well.