Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 06 crd just quits when I'm decelerating or idling. It…

Customer Question
My 06 crd just...

My 06 crd just quits when I'm decelerating or idling. It needs to sit for several hours before it will restart and it will stop and fail again.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

100640

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Jeep?

CRD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've replaced the fuel filter twice the fuel filter housing and the fuel pump relay.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
9/30/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

Also try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no acc**t touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you