Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

How do you bypass or check the fuel pump relay to get power…

Hi Dan , How do you...
Hi Dan ,
How do you bypass or check the fuel pump relay to get power to the fuel pump on a 2001 WJ Jeep with the 4.0 L engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/19/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

It looks like Dan is currently offline.

Would that be Ok if I help you or would you like to wait for Dan?

Hi Amedee, yes go ahead

If you jumper the dark green/black wire to the dark green/white wire at the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump should run.

If you want to ohm it out, it should read between 60 to 80 ohms.

I only find a green / black wire , a black wire , a yellow and red wire and two red / blue wires together , at the fuel pump relay

May I get your VIN please?

VIN 1J4GX48S51C634647

Thank you. That's better.

Jumper the violet/white wire to the dark green/black wire and the fuel pump should run.

You are right Amedee, I hear a click when I jump the indicated wires but no fuel comes out of the filter

Have you checked power and ground back at the fuel pump?

If so, does the fuel pump run?

Are you sure there is fuel in the tank?

Maybe the fuel pump is faulty.

I hear a click but dont hear the pump running

If the power and ground are good going to the fuel pump, the fuel pump is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Thank you

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Do you have any further questions, sir?

Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician