Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

What is the purpose of the axle locks? The Owner's Manual…

Customer Question
What is the purpose...

What is the purpose of the axle locks? The Owner's Manual doesn't bother to explain.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2014 Wrangler Rubicon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing is wrong so far as I know; I just want to know when to acitvate them. However, llast night we experienced sudden and severe shuddering,I think in the front end when going over some minor bumps on the road; could that be related? I was going about 35 to 40 and when I slowed the shuddering stopped although it occurred a 2d a short time later.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When should the sway bar swith be acitivated? That's all.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Jeep
9/17/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so this shudder could you feel it in the steering wheel? And as far as activating the locks is when your in a extreme 4wd situation when you actually need all 4 tires to spin, this goes with the link activation as well, with the sway bark link disconnected that give you the most suspension travel that the vehicle is rated for, this is used in a lot in rock climbing, they name that jeep the Rubicon because it is actually rated to run the entire length of the treacherous Rubicon with no needed up grades fresh off the lot

Regarding the shudder, I could feel it strongly through the steering wheel but the whole front end shook; scared my wife. I drove the Jeep around today over some bumpy country roads but no reoccurence. We are leaving for Colorado (in the Jeep) in a week and would like not to have this happen again. Any thoughts?

more than likely you have a bad steering dampener, those are notoriously bad, and it wouldn't hurt to have the front end check out for worn parts, I would replace with oem or better on the dampener or even upgrade to a double shock

See my last response re the shuddering. Also, re the axle locks, I gather I dont need to activate them on forestry roads that are rough but don't involve rock climbing?

if you start slipping in regular 4wd low then its time to get the lockers out. and did you get the last response ill copy and paste again

hows everything coming?

Jeep Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.