Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Replaced pcm in 04 jeep wrangler 4.0 automatic now jeep

Customer Question
Replaced pcm in 04...

Replaced pcm in 04 jeep wrangler 4.0 automatic now jeep won't start. someone told me i need the pin number to reprogram the key. don't know if this is the truth or not, but i don't have the 4-digit pin since i bought the jeep used

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are fine. it started all the time until the pcm was replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it myself. i only replaced the pcm. had a locksmith come out to make a new key and he told me i needed the pin before a key could be made ??

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Jeep
9/17/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 9 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello and welcome to just answer.
If you would send me the vehicle's Vin number I can look up the code for you
1J4FA59S74P717852
is there an additional charge to talk to you.
i have the old pcm, and wonder if i should put it in before we talk on the phone
or should i leave the new pcm in try to remedy the problem with it not starting
Well I just tried to pull up the code, but the website is down for maintenance today. I may have to look it up tomorrow. In the meantime, do put the old PCM in and see if it will start.
i did put the old pcm in and it still will not start. sentry key indicator light on. this was not on before i switched out the pcm now it stays on with new and old pcm and jeep will not start. what is the remedy for this problem
will you charge me again tomorrow to give me the pin #
i haven't gotten a response from you. are you still available to help me
No i I will not charge you again tomorrow.
do you personally think having a new key made will fix my problem.
I'm 70 years old and really confused with this problem.
I've worked on cars all my life and have never had this problem with any other car
i replaced the pcm and thought it would fix the problem with the way the jeep was running, but obviously, it's made matters worse. I've only had this jeep for a year and it has 240,000 miles on it. i just need to figure out how to get it to start
When you turn the key to the on position, does the red security light come on for about 3 seconds and then turn off? Or does it stay on or flash?
the amber security light comes on, goes off and then comes back on and stays on
Then it is a key Skim security issue. If the key is not programmed then the light will come back on.
I need the 4 digit pin, right ? Then I guess I'll get a locksmith to program a new key, right ?
that is correct.
OK, what time tomorrow do you think you will be forwarding me the pin #
puzzling, this was not a problem before i replaced the pcm.
did replacing the pcm cause this problem
even putting the old pcm back in the jeep didn't remedy the problem. it still wouldn't start and the amber security light indicator came on for the first time since i've had the jeep. i'm confused about the whole problem
Well the new PCM will need to know the secret key number from the code. The locksmith can perform this when he programs the key. By the way, the website is up now and I am going to look up the code. Be right back
ok
Ok got it! The key code is M0397 and the PIN number is *****
I hope that this information is helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system or by accepting my answer ? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.
Thank you!
Will this key code and pin work ONLY with the old pcm. How can I get a key code and pin for the NEW pcm .
do you think i'll need a new key, or will the locksmith be able to program these numbers into my OLD key ?
if i don't need a new key, do you think I could program the old key myself to the OLD pcm ?
The code is vehicle specific. The new PCM needs to learn the code and that is why it needs to be programmed. The locksmith can use that code I sent and possibly the old key. Try that first.
I hope that this makes sense.
do you mean the pcm needs to be programmed
The new PCM needs to learn the code that is in the SKIM security module, and the locksmith will use that PIN number I sent you.
OR DO YOU MEAN THE KEY I would have thought the company I bought the pcm from would have programmed the pcm correctly. they asked for the VIN # of my jeep when i ordered it. I got it from FlagShip1. Have you ever heard of them. it's suppose to be a plug and play pcm that all I was suppose to have to do was put it in and it should have worked. They never gave me any other instructions, etc.
THAT CODE IN THE SKIM SECURITY MODULE IS THE MO397, RIGHT ? HOW CAN I PROGRAM THE PCM ?
IF I KEEP THE OLD PCM IN THE JEEP AND SEND BACK THE NEW ONE, THE JEEP ALREADY RECOGNIZES THAT SKIM SECURITY MODULE #, RIGHT. i'LL ONLY HAVE TO HAVE THE KEY REPROGRAMMED, RIGHT. iT'S REALLY CONFUSING TO ME. IF I PUT THE OLD PCM BACK IN THE JEEP I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE KEYS THAT WORKED DON'T WORK ANYMORE
Hmmm, interesting. If it was preprogrammed, then they may have messed up. But the fact that the security light comes back on tells me the PCM is not programmed correctly. Put the old PCM back in and see if it starts. If so, then return the PCM and ask them to try again. The PIN number is ***** 4 digit number not the M0397.
that last statement you sent is correct. It is not a key issue anymore. It is the new PCM.
i'VE DONE THAT, PUT THE OLD PCM BACK IN JEEP AND IT WILL STILL NOT START !
SO NEITHER OF THEM WORK THE NEW PCM OR THE OLD ON
Oh wow. Are you sure that maybe a fuse for the PCM did not blow? Can you communicate with either PCM with a scan tool?