Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2000 Grand Cherokee 4WD, 4.0L w/ 246,000 miles SYMPTOMS: •

Customer Question
2000 Grand Cherokee 4WD, 4.0L...
2000 Grand Cherokee 4WD, 4.0L w/ 246,000 milesSYMPTOMS:
• The vehicle starts but runs extremely RICH and has no power, (not drivable); black smoke from exhaust.
• Gauges not working correctly trip meter flashes when accelerating, VOLT meter reads 9 volts ( battery tested at 13 volts) (check gauges light on) DID cluster test all gauges responded
• NO CHECK ENGINE CODES on readerCOMPLETED TESTS:
• Checked gas for water, took ½ gallon from fuel line, NO water in gas evident
• Fuel pressure is a constant 60 PSI
• Did Exhaust back pressure test with gauge 0 pressure at idle 2.5 pound at 2500 RPM
• Battery and alternator both tested and working correctly
• Replaced PCM with no change
• Removed field to alternator, instant improvement at idle and at 2500 RPM, also noticed it charges at 100 amps even with fully charged battery. Tested field wires for shorts and opens, Wire tested good.Puzzling problems and looking for ideas, solutions... Thanks.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Jeep
9/12/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 11 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

When did all of this start?

What is the engine vacuum at when the engine is at idle?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer1. The problem started about a month ago after being out of town for a week. When I returned to start the Jeep it was running poorly. We did have a lot of rain that week.2. Engine vacuum at idle is 16 inches of mercury (a picture is attached).3. I am willing to speak on the phone.Thanks.

Thank you for that information and thank you for the pic!

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

We are still working on Jeep. Any suggestions? Thanks.

YES, sir we are. I have been waiting for you the past three days.

I'm hoping to do through email at the moment, I call schedule a call in the future. Thanks.

Hello, sir! No problem. We can continue on this page.

We need to start by fixing the engine vacuum issue first.

I would recommend starting by checking for any air or vacuum leaks while the engine is at idle.

Please do this and let me know!