Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 2007 Jeep liberty just started leaking an oily fluid just

Customer Question

My 2007 Jeep liberty just started leaking an oily fluid just behind the oil pan when it was parked in a fairly steep driveway last night with the front end facing downhill. It doesn't appear to be leaking when level. I checked oil, coolant, brake, and power steering. Brake and oil were overfilled and power steering was under-filled.
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. The car just came into my possession this week, and I don't have a complete history of maintenance performed. It only has 56,000 miles and was driven very easily, so probably no gaskets had been replaced.
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I don't have any tools with me where I am. I will be bringing it to a mechanic tomorrow and am just doing research as I am not familiar with the car. I have just checked the fluids as mentioned and observed when it appears to be leaking.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the front crank seal may be leaking which goes behind the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. It keeps oil from leaking so if seal is worn it would cause oil to leak with front of engine on downward slant. This is about a 2.5 hour job and a $50 part so about $300 total for repair to be done at a shop. Let me know if yo have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I looked at where the fluid was dripping from, it was along the midline seam of the large metal rectangle just behind the oil pan (going from the front of the car towards the rear). Could you please confirm what this is, and why you don't believe it is the source of the leak compared to the front crank seal on the engine block? Also, if it is the front crank seal, is this or other gasket leaks common at 56,000 miles and approximately 10 years of ownership? Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Usually the wind from driving down the road blows the oil toward back of engine so you would want to trace leak as close to the front as possible and as high as possible. The large metal triangle you are describing sounds like it is the transmission pan. The reason I say front seal is most likely cause is because there is where oil would be if vehicle was parked downhill. As vehicles age pretty much all of the gaskets are eventually prone to leak. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.